LOCALISED – Localised decarbonisation pathways for citizens, local administrations and businesses to inform for mitigation and adaptation action
- Geographical scope:Regional
- Time horizon:2021-2023
- Initial Release:10.2021
- Institution(s):POTSDAM INSTITUTE FOR CLIMATE IMPACT RESEARCH (Co-ordinator), Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change, European Institute on Economics and the Environment, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Institute for Energy and Climate Research, IREC – Catalonia Institute for Energy Research, University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation, ÖGUT – Austrian Society for Environment and Technology, Szewalski Institute of Fluid-Flow Machinery, Polish Academy of Science, T6 Ecosystems srl, Climate Media Factory, City of Barcelona, Agenda 2030 Deparment, City of Vienna, Department of Energy Planning, Metropolitan Area Gdansk-Gdynia-Sopot
- Users:Scientists, Policy analysts, Decision makers
LOCALISED is a project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 programme and carried out by a consortium of 12 European organisations. The objective of LOCALISED is to downscale national decarbonization trajectories consistent with Europe’s net-zero target to the local levels and provide the results to local authorities, citizens and businesses, in a way that would speed up the uptake of mitigation and adaptation actions. To this end, the project will create effective and clearly understandable tools that transform localised data on possible decarbonisation pathways by 2030 and 2050 into knowledge for action:
(1) the Decarbonisation Profiler for municipalities, regions and their citizens, providing information in all 24 EU languages
(2) the Net-Zero Business Consultant tool.
The tools shall allow local authorities and policy-makers as well as citizens and businesses: to identify viable combinations and best practices of (sectoral) mitigation and adaptation measures for every NUTS3 region in Europe on how to reach the goals of the downscaled pathways and to introduce an adapted-to-case service for implementation and monitoring of Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs). This is closing a gap as the few currently available European platforms providing information on energy transition to net-zero in Europe have so far limited their scope and results to the national level (EUCalculator, INNOPATHS, CTI-2050), which is of little use at the level where the changes must be implemented.
The project will additionally engage with EU citizen groups to inform how climate change and different EU net-zero scenarios positively and negatively affect their life and what share of mitigation can be enhanced via key behavioural change.