The King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center (KAPSARC) is a non-profit global institution located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia which is dedicated to research and advisory into energy economics, policy, technology and the environment across all types of energy. KAPSARC’s mandate is to advance the understanding of energy challenges and opportunities facing the world today and tomorrow, through unbiased, independent, and high-caliber analysis for the benefit of society.
KAPSARC seeks a passionate Research Fellow to join its Climate and Environment Program. The Research Fellow will support research at the intersection of energy, technology, climate, and policy focusing on Saudi Arabia and climate change, impacts, and mitigation more broadly. The successful candidate will support climate change research assessing the vulnerability of the energy sector as well as other sectors to climate change impacts and the role of adaptation and mitigation in Saudi Arabia and the MENA region. Candidates with a background in climate emulation using simple climate models (e.g., Hector, MAGICC), carbon budget/management, and land use emissions are also encouraged to apply. Prior experience in working with large climate datasets is required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION: Ph.D. in Climate Science, Earth Systems, Statistics, or a relevant field. A Master’s Degree is acceptable if research maturity in the field is demonstrated given job experience.
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Good communication skills and enthusiastic team player.
- Contribute to climate change policy research, advisory, modeling, and analysis.
- Contribute to the Circular Carbon Economy research at KAPSARC, and applications of simple climate models in the context of carbon budget, and climate mitigation research.
- Provide strong expertise in carbon management, GHG emissions including land-based emissions, climate emulation, climate modeling/analysis, and/or climate related research across projects within KAPSARC.
- Lead research on climate change, impact, and vulnerability in Saudi Arabia
- Develop and maintain analytic models and analysis tools of climate change, sectoral impacts, and adaptation options for scientific inquiry and decision research, and to support and provide insights into climate change and sustainability related research.
- Close collaboration with other researchers within the Climate and Environment Program and KAPSARC, along with other collaborating research institutions, government agencies, and decision makers.
- Effectively communicate analyses and findings to stakeholders through written deliverables
- Presenting analysis through stakeholder meetings, webcalls, podcasts, and third party conferences where appropriate.
To be considered, please apply by going to this link: https://www.kapsarc.org/ar/careers/open-positions/research-fellow-climate-change-and-environment/