Postdoc in Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs) – Department of Environmental Management, Peking University, China
The Department of Environmental Management within the College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (CESE) at Peking University (PKU) is pleased to offer a Postdoc position in the area of Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs). The chosen candidate will immerse in groundbreaking research on the application and development of IAMs, with particular emphasis on global and China’s energy and climate policy.
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
The research endeavor will span across multiple projects, though candidates should exhibit a level of adaptability to assist in other research initiatives as needed.
Our primary research avenues include:
- Synergistic policy evaluations for greenhouse gas and atmospheric pollutant mitigation.
- Technological evolution for deep carbon emission reduction in high-emission sectors.
- Integrated studies on greenhouse gas reduction across agriculture, forestry, and other land-use sectors.
Within these research themes:
- The Postdoc will play a pivotal role in the design and execution of analytical studies that leverage integrated assessment models.
- The Postdoc will be responsible for synthesizing insights from diverse sources, including but not limited to literature and databases, to inform IAM development and application.
- The candidate must possess a PhD in environmental sciences, environmental management, economics, or a related field, ideally with a substantial background in IAMs, data-driven research, and policy analysis.
Primary duties include:
- Spearheading the application and further development of IAMs in the context of energy and climate policy.
- Designing and executing research studies, both independently and collaboratively.
- Synthesizing and analyzing data to discern patterns, implications, and recommendations.
- Contributing to the authorship of research publications and presenting findings at academic conferences and seminars.
- Dr. Hancheng Dai: Director of the Department of Environmental Management, and leader of the Integrated Model of Energy, Environment and Economy for Sustainable Development (IMED) Model. He received the National Science Fund for Outstanding Young Scholars in 2022 and ranks among the world’s top 2% most-cited scientists from 2020 to 2023. His significant contributions extend to the IPCC 6th Assessment Report. His work features in top-tier journals like Nature Food and One Earth.
- Dr. Yang Ou: Assistant Professor at CESE. Dr. Ou’s research spans across energy system modeling, greenhouse gas mitigation, and climate policy analysis. Dr. Ou has extensive experience with the Global Change Analysis Model (GCAM). His work features in top-tier journals like Science, Nature Climate Change, and Nature Communications.
Our IAM team has fostered robust collaborations with premier research institutes across Europe, America, Japan, and China. For a deeper understanding of our ongoing projects and collaborations, we welcome you to peruse our group’s webpage: http://scholar.pku.edu.cn/hanchengdai/group.
PKU Postdoctoral Fellowships
Alongside the primary postdoc position at our Department, candidates are strongly encouraged to concurrently apply for the following esteemed fellowships:
- Peking University-IIASA postdoctoral program, see the 2022 announcement: https://postdocs.pku.edu.cn/bshxm/gjlhbsh/PKUIIASAlhbshxm/621473afb5fa49fdbe9216fb0e93e6ec.htm (at PKU) and https://iiasa.ac.at/opportunities/pku-iiasa-postdoctoral-program (at IIASA);
- PKU Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship (https://postdocs.pku.edu.cn/tzgg/22e0746345904184b6576a97f47607e2.htm)