The Center for Global Sustainability (CGS, cgs.umd.edu) at the University of Maryland (UMD) seeks to hire up to two postdoctoral research associates with strong research, project management, writing, and communication skills and a desire to apply those skills in support of climate and sustainability issues. The candidate should have strong potential for research production and a desire to build skills in linking analysis and policy. This position will be a full-time appointment for two years.
The Post-Doctoral Research Associate will work with CGS faculty and researchers, and our collaborators, as appropriate, to develop and apply robust and innovative research approaches to better understand pathways to reach challenging and ambitious climate and sustainability goals at international, national, and/or subnational levels. Such research approaches may include integrated quantitative analysis and modeling (including integrated assessment models such as GCAM), empirical methods, qualitative and mixed methods, or other approaches to understanding energy systems, land use, non-CO2 climate forcers, and other topics at the center of climate policy and sustainability debates. Specific projects may include but are not limited to the following:
- Near- and long-term low carbon development strategies of key countries
- Accelerated fossil transition pathways in key countries, potentially including but not limited to subnational strategies
- Co-benefits of climate change mitigation, such as air quality and human health, economic development and other national priorities
- Scenarios for analyzing climate and transition risks to the economy and financial system
- Decarbonization strategies for the industrial, transportation, and other sectors
- Methane and other non-CO2 reduction strategies at national or subnational levels
- Agricultural and other land-related mitigation options
Primary duties of this position include:
- Conduct research on low-carbon strategies and energy transition pathways to inform the development of climate, energy, and environment strategies in key countries of interest, including potentially the U.S., China, Indonesia, India, Brazil, and/or South Africa.
- Lead publication of research papers and reports on these topics.
- Contribute to developing and expanding the research agenda and developing new proposals with project leads.